Friday, July 03, 2009

The Health Crisis/SPEAK UP!

THIS IS WHAT WE’RE UP AGAINST:

It's going to look like the Middle Ages again with no middle class and poor people dropping dead in the streets, the rich living in their walled-off fiefdoms apart from the horror, sending their minions down to "acquire" the property of the dead for free. Civilization is getting far less civilized all over the world. You may, if you have the stomach for it, notice it everywhere you look outside of your own home-which you may be losing.

For any civilization to thrive, it's people must thrive (particularly women and children). There's plenty of historical and scientific evidence to back this up. You don't need me to give it to you.

NOW IS THE TIME TO SPEAK OUT.


I don’t know what you all do for health coverage but it’s time to get as involved in the debate as you can. Call, write, petition your representatives now.


In my case, even though I've been paying into a plan for 32 years (and barely used it), Screen Actor's Guild/Producers Health Plan is squeezing me out of their policy by jacking the amounts I need to make per year for coverage. The amounts are impossible to make if you aren’t in the top tier. If you are in the top tier (which is probably less than 10% of SAG) you’re covered. If you don’t make the minimum, they kick you to COBRA, which you’re allowed to try to pay for for 36 months. It costs appx. 4500.00 for 6 months. I’m not making it, folks. Are you?


Because producers no longer pay a living wage to any but the big stars, most of us either never get any or lose our coverage altogether. Hey, SAG members, correct me if I’m wrong. The rest of you, tell me and your Reps. your story.

Thanks, Ronnie Meckler for drawing my attention to this article. Check it out: Ex Executive accuses insurance giant of 'purging' customers.

1 comment:

Gary said...

The health care mess is just that: A mess.

I work in the field of mental health as a clinical psychologist, and I see where people are busting their asses to improve and survive. In return, many are given the grim option of pay or die. I can't see how or why health care should be anything more or less than a basic human right. I'm happy to work in a clinic where prevention is emphasized, and health is encouraged for mind and body, and maybe soon everyone will have access to quality resources like that. Until then, there's significant work to be done.

Gary Shaller, Ph.D.
www.podkisst.com

Blog Archive