Sunday, June 07, 2009

What Rodney Bingenheimer Said

So the other night, I see Rodney at Canters. He took up his usual booth. Since I have a long time acquaintanceship with the Mayor, I stopped by the table, old Hollywood style. I tell him people have been coming to my blog lately searching out the following phrase which goes something like this:
What does Rodney think of the movie Mayor of Sunset Strip?
Given that query and the fact that the interview we did so many years back gets a lot of hits, maybe I should blog a few of his thoughts on the movie.
This is what he said about it:
"They made it look like I live in a closet. I have a big apartment. When they showed the front of my building they got a bum from somewhere and paid him to lie out in front for the shot. I don't like it. I've had a great life, a happy life. I used to be friends with Kim Fowley. We were friends. I don't talk to him anymore. I don't talk to Chris Carter, either.
Every time you see me there's this sad violin music. The DVD has some extra stuff, some happier stuff, but you have to look for it." That's the gist. Every silver lining has a cloud. Here's one of the things that bugged me. The movie is called, as you know, THE MAYOR OF SUNSET STRIP but they never tell you how Rodney got that name. Seems like a no-brainer that the filmakers would want to 'splain that, does it not? Anyway, if you want to know, read the interview Rodney did with me for the L.A. Weekly back in 1979.

1 comment:

Brian said...

So this "Rodney" is the guy that gets "no respect", right? I have heard of that somewhere...

Blog Archive